Saturday 8 June 2019

2019-06-07 Blown off the water at Roosevelt

Louise and I got up late.  The forecast was for rainy and cold in hood river, but better wind and weather out east.

I heard from Brad that it is snowing in Alberta.  Glad I am not there!!!

We drove to Lost Lake to check out a possible cycling trip for a less windy and warmer day.  It was a beautiful drive.  I started out with less than a quarter tank of gas, thinking I would be fine.  As we turned onto the Lost lake road, my DTE showed 85km - still lots of gas to get back.  We drove the few miles to the top and my DTE was at 45 - wow, I guess I wasn't getting great mileage going up hill.  Louise hates it when I run the tank close to empty, so things got a bit stressful after the low-fuel indicator light binged On.  Fortunately, the way home was all down hill.  By the time we got back to Hood River, my DTE said I had 65km to go :<)  I guess you can go a long way on very little gas when you are coasting....

We picked up some lunch, checked in with Jim at Sailworks, and then headed to Roosevelt.  It was definitely the right call.

I started out on my 4.8m Hucker and 93L Code and had a good few runs, but then the wind notched up a bit, so I came in to rest and re-rig.


I went out on my 4.2 Hucker and Code and had another few great runs until it notched up again.  There were huge swells on the far side and I had a lot of fun playing in them but was just too overpowered to complete many of my jibes, although I did get through a few.  I finally had to quit when I was having trouble waterstarting on the far side.



Harold, your friend Gunner (Gunter?) said to say hi!  He asked when all the other Alberta guys are coming down.   He quit sailing when he couldn't hold on to his 3.2....

Louise and I got back to Hood River at about 7:00.  I took the Washington side all the way back because I was concerned about my Foil Board on the roof with a 60-70kph headwind.

We decided to do "First Fridays", so we found a parking spot and walked downtown.  As we walked, it started raining, and as we got to the area where the streets were blocked off all the vendors were shutting down their exhibits.  We decided to head back to the van before we got too wet....

We had supper at China Gorge.  I think the prices have increased, and am not sure the food quality is the same.  We didn't leave hungry - and I was quite proud of myself that I stopped before I was hurting and actually left some food on my plate......

Looking forward to more wind tomorrow, although it looks like we may be biking and Stand Up paddling for a few days after that.  Louise will be Happy!!








1 comment: