Thursday 20 June 2019

2019-06-19 More Wind at Roosevelt



Roosevelt Parking Lot

Cam's Primary Metrics for the trip are!
  1) I didn't get hurt!
  2) I didn't hurt anyone else
  3) I got home safe.

These three goals or metrics/goals are above all other criteria.

Having fun, Not breaking equipment, are all secondary.

So far this trip ("Touch Wood") we have been doing pretty well!

Today was another very windy day.  The forecast was for 30-35mph (48-55kph) all day.
The actual wind was a bit higher, averaging 55 and gusting to 70kph.

Averaging 55, Gusting to 70kph all afternoon!

I was first on the water for a change.  I had a few runs (5km) on my 4.8, and then came in and re-rigged to my 4.2 (smallest sail).  I had a great session with over 25km, but it was not relaxing.  I was overpowered most of the time, but I did manage to make almost all my jibes.  I must be getting used to the windier conditions!

Brad said he has decided he will be getting the Stuby Freeride board.  He was renting one again today, and said that it proved itself today in the difficult conditions!

Brad on the Stuby Freeride board.

Brad

Harold started out on his 3.7, but then changed to 3.2.  Gerry was out on his Roberts Board hunting for jumps.

Harold - coming in after a great session!

Gerry - hunting for ramps!
Cam, Ross and Bernd joined.  It was fun sailing with them, although they tend to go away from all the sailors.  I did have a few reaches with Bernd which was a lot of fun.

Jim was out on a 3.8, and reported that it was more power than he probably needed.

Cam - instructing Jim on the finer points of sailing!
Cynthia went out and had a good session, although on the small gear and Acid board she had a bit of trouble staying upwind, and at one point, came in a bit downwind.  That is no issue, as it is an easy walk back, and undeterred, she just went out and tried again!  We have all done that same walk many times!
Cynthia - short walk before heading out again!
Kent, of course, made it work perfectly on his 3.8.  I remember sailing together on a reach.  I was trying to keep the board on the water and generally just surviving, and Kent was slashing back and forth doing wave rides and looking totally comfortable.  Nice!  Although at the end of the day, Kent did a reach out while I was taking photos and he said he was in a big gust and wanted to jibe - but couldn't bring himself to bear off.  Just too scary - he ended up on the other side of the river!
Kent
Blaine had a great day as well.  He was out on his Freeride and 3.8 all day!
Blaine - great day!
I headed home early to meet my friend Mark Sudal for supper.  I know Mark from Nitinat days.  He lives in Victoria and enjoys sailing at Nitinat and on all the beaches on Vancouver Island.  Mark was on a Motorcycle trip with his father, Mike, and happened to stop in Hood River for the night.  Great to see them both.  We had a very nice meal and evening at 6th Street.
Ted and Mark - not sure what I am doing with my Helmet....

Jim, Cam and Cynthia went to Three Rivers Grill, the rest of the gang went to the Dirty Fingers Cafe.

Everyone was in bed by the time I got back to the Condo at 9:30.   Not much of a party crowd.

I think everyone is very sore - looking forward to more wind tomorrow.

More of my Photos from today are Here on my Flickr Site


Gerry - making spray!

Kent

Ted's Rigs - 4.8 and 4.2

No comments:

Post a Comment