Monday 17 June 2019

2019-06-16 more Wind - getting sore.....

Thanks Blaine for the photo!
Sunday was Fathers day so we decided to avoid the crowds and mayhem at Bette's.

Instead, most of us ate in our condo's.  Ross and I cooked breakfast for Cam, Cynthia, Jim, Harold, and Bernd.  I think it went over pretty well.  I was just going to do the basics - scrambled eggs, bacon and toast, but Ross spruced it up with fresh fruit, smoothies, and fresh bread from the bakery.  Ross was a bit disappointed that the eggs that I had chosen weren't from organically fed, free range, humanely treated chickens who each have names and are groomed and petted each day - but they tasted pretty good anyway...
This guy joined me on the top of my radio antenna as I was unloading my van...

I'm sure he was checking me out as I was photographing him!
We got to the Hatchery at about 11:00, and got some of the last parking spots at the East end of the parking lot.  It was just as windy as yesterday.  Everyone got out, on pretty well the smallest gear that they own.

Cynthia - 3.0, Harold 3.2, Jim 3.4, Blaine 3.7, Brad 3.7, Kent 3.8, Gerry 3.8, Ted 4.2.

We thought we had lost Cynthia for a while, and Jim got out the binoculars, but she was just downwind (up current), and was doing fine.

Brad was trying out a new board - an 85 Litre Stubby Free Ride.  I think he liked it and will likely be adding to the Hood River Economy tomorrow.

Brad and Kent bought a couple of Ross's old sails, to add to the small end of their sailing quivers - as it looks like we will have the same kind of wind, or stronger, for the rest of the week.
Jim, Blaine and Brad - checking out the wind!
I had a good session in the morning and came off for lunch at around 2:00 with the others.  After lunch, I took my camera down to the beach (the sun is at a better angle in the afternoon), but as I was setting it up, the wind started to die and everyone came in.
Ted - taking photos and video at the Hatchery
thanks Bernd for the photo
We sat in the parking lot (again) until about 5:30 talking about the day.  Ross, Cam and Bernd joined us.  Ross and Cam had sailed from the White Salmon Bridge, while Bernd sailed from the Event Site.  Ross sailed up to the Hatchery and harassed us for a while before sailing back.  Bernd kited up to the Hatchery as well but said it was like being a fighter pilot in enemy territory with all the windsurfers and big swell, so he went back down before any of us saw him.  Too bad, it would have been nice to get a photo.
Jim loves his Sailworks!
Jim decided he wasn't done for the day, so headed over to the Event Site to foil.  I wasn't there, but apparently, there was a fellow foiling when they got there, but by the time they were half rigged, the wind had died and the fellow was just slogging in the water.

We all met at the Kickstand Coffee Cafe for supper (it was amazing that we were able to coordinate to all get there).  The food and service were excellent.
Clockwise: Jim, Cam, Ted, Bernd, Brad, Harold
Kent, (Blaine is missing taking the photo), Gerry, Ross, and Cynthia
From there we went down to Mike's Ice Cream for ice cream.  It was a beautiful night and we sat outside in the lawn chairs eating our ice cream cones.  While we were there, we ran into Mike and Chris from Windemere Lake.  I had met Mike and Chris in Cuba three years ago while kiting with my friends from Southern Alberta.  Mike and Chris run the Shady Brook Resort on Windemere Lake.  They are down here kiting this week with their kids.  I hope we run into them again while they are here.
Brad - enjoying his double scoop waffle cone!

Enjoying ice cream on a beautiful evening!

Ted with Mike, Chris and the kids!

I think everyone is feeling a little beaten up after the last three days of sub 4.0m sailing.  Someone even mentioned that it would be nice to have a less windy day.......  We must be getting old....   Most were in bed by 9:00.  Looking forward to more wind tomorrow - no rest for the wicked....




No comments:

Post a Comment