Thursday 6 June 2019

2019-06-06 Parking Passes and Gusty Foiling

Temira's call was for gusty wind in cool temperatures.   Louise and I had breakfast and then did some shopping. 

The port authority has the parking totally locked down this year.  You can't even get away with going into the Event Site after they close the booth, as they now have parking pay stations in the lot.

I decided that with all our foiling, I had better buy a seasons pass.  It was harder than I expected.  The website said they were sold out.  I ended up going to the port authority office, only to be sent back to the Event Site booth.  I am now the proud owner of an Event Site annual pass.  I need to go there 16 times to make it pay, but I am here for 20 days this spring, and probably another 10 in the fall, so it may work.  If not - at least I am not upset with paying $8.00 per visit.....

We went back to the Condo and then rode our bikes down to Solstice for lunch. 

After lunch, we headed out to Mosier.  It was supposed to be windy there, but it wasn't.  I bought an annual parking pass for the site from the Mosier Market.  The daily rate is $5.00, and the Annual Pass is $15.00, so I should be able to make that work!

From Mosier, we continued east on the Historic Highway (30) all the way to the Dalles.  We may do that as a day ride.  It is about 40k from the Condo to the first restaurant, where we could have lunch before returning....  Our batteries should be able to manage it if there isn't too much of a headwind.

On the way home, we checked out Rowena.  It was windy but very gusty.  There were a bunch of people sailing, mostly little guys.  Harold, you would have been in your element.  I could have probably had a good session, but we decided to go back to the Event Site to try foiling again.

When we got there, it didn't look very windy, and Joe told me to rig big!  He was just coming off the water.  It looked windier than yesterday so I rigged my 6.0 Foiler with my big Infinity foil.  I went for a run and was totally overpowered.  The wind was coming up.  I switched to my small H2 Foil, but it was still too much.  I then switched to my 4.8 sail, but the wind kept increasing faster than I could rig.  I went out, but exploded on my way back to shore. 


It then started to rain, so I packed everything up.  As I was putting things away, Bruce came by and told me that the squall would blow by and it would be a sunny night with milder wind.  Maybe, but as I left, he was just heading out and commented, that it looked like he would get a little of everything out there.....

Louise and I went back to the condo to clean up, and then took the bikes down to 6th Street Bistro for supper!  Excellent!

On the way back we stopped for a cider a the Crush Cider Cafe.  We tried a few ciders and an excellent hot pretzel.

Nice night!  Looking forward to more and better wind tomorrow!

Ted, exploding on the way in.  Big Gust!







1 comment: