Wednesday 19 June 2019

2019-06-18 Running away from the Wind....

Tuesday started out like most others here in the gorge.  First, Dog River for coffee and then went across the street to Bette's for breakfast.

Temira's forecast was for Very Strong winds - almost everywhere....


Everyone was talking the Wall.  The wind was from the perfect direction, and it should be rocking.

I needed a lighter day, so decided on Roosevelt.  I like the rigging area, it is less intimidating, and the wind was forecast for a bit lighter.  I didn't really tell anyone, except Cynthia (who asked me directly when I was at Safeway picking up lunch), because I didn't want to spoil it for Kent, Brad, Blaine, Gerry and some of the other really good sailors.

Jim, Cam, Cynthia, Ross and Bernd were heading for Rufus to do some kiting.

Bernd, Cam and Ross - Big wind at Rufus!
I got to Roosevelt at about 1:30 and got the last "prime" parking spot backing onto the grass.  I started rigging my 4.7 and Nash board.  Gerry, Brand and Blaine, and Harold all arrived while I was rigging.

Apparently, they had arrived at the Wall just as Kent was getting into the water on his 3.8m sail.  Kent made a few reaches, and then came in and gave them the thumbs up signal.  They waved at him and then all left to go to Roosevelt.  Apparently, I am not the only one intimidated by the Wall in big conditions...  Kent was left to sail by himself all day.  He said he had a great day, with fantastic swell, but was a little miffed that they would let him go into the water when they were planning to leave, as he would have been just as happy at Roosevelt.  What he didn't understand is that they hadn't made their minds up yet....  the lemmings hadn't started to move....  We are all glad he had a great day.
Blaine
I went out for my best session of the trip.  I used my shorty wetsuit - boy does that feel good compared to the full suit.  I sailed over 30km in about an hour and a half.  I was fully sheeted in almost all the time, with very few lulls.  I was actually trying to maximize my speed and was hunting for ramps to jump, unlike earlier in the week when I was in survival mode doing my best to slow down and stay on the water.  Maybe I still can do this sport!

Ted's GPS track

Blaine, Brad, and Gerry all got out on their 4.2's.  Gerry's first session wasn't great as he took out his small board and ended up body dragging in because he couldn't get going.  He ended up walking back - he said it was about a mile, but he deleted his GPS Track to re-start the day.  He switched boards and then had a great day, jumping all over the place.
Gerry - Going big!
Harold took out his 3.7 and made it work all day, although he did switch boards later in the day when the wind picked up.

Brad was trying out a third demo board.  Another Stuby, but a wave style board rather than freeride.  He definitely made it work!  It will be really interesting now with three to choose from, which he picks.
Brad on his Stuby Demo

Brad
Big Air Jim arrived with his Van along with Cynthia, and Bernd arrived with Cam.  They had been at Rufus with Ross.  Ross went out, but after watching some of the pro's (a young lady kiter boosting 20 foot jumps, strapless, and landing them), they decided that they too would go to Roosevelt.  Ross gave them a thumbs up that the conditions were great, and they packed up and left.....nice??
Ross had a great day, but felt a little abandoned.....

Everyone got out.  Cam went out for a short turn and then came back to get a smaller kite.  He and Bernd had a great session, and I actually got a few photos, although Cam must be camera shy, because as soon as he got on the water he went as far away from me as possible.   "Camera Shy Cam"   - doesn't sound possible....
Bernd - getting air!

Bernd
Cam - getting away from the Camera as quickly as possible!
Cam - switching kites
Jim and Cynthia also had a great sail.  I think everyone appreciated the more moderate conditions.
Cynthia kept thanking me for suggesting Roosevelt.
Big Air Jim
Cynthia won the rigging award, starting out on the 3.7 and then, as the wind built she changed to a 3.4 and then a 3.0 and then a smaller board.  It's a good thing she has lots of help to de-rig!!  Not that she doesn't do her share - and Father's day was yesterday, so Cam understands that the focus is now on her for the rest of the year!
Cynthia said she made a lot of jibes!
We de-rigged at about 5:00 but sat around chatting until about 7:00, so we didn't get back to Hood River until around 8:30.
Smarter than any of the rest of us - Cynthia had a shower to clean and warm up!
We got to the Mexican Taqueria Restaurant just before they closed.  The service and food was excellent as usual!

Cynthia phoned Kent to make sure he and Ross were alive (none of the rest of us were worried...).  He was with Ross at Ferment's Brewing Company  for supper.

Kent and Ross came back to the Townhouse around 10 with some ice cream and fruit!  They shared some with Bernd, and I, so I guess they weren't that miffed...

Great day!

There are more photos from the day on my Flickr Site Here

Cam - after a great day!

Harold had a great day on his 3.7

Big Air Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment